June 14, 2007

Red Shadows

Monday we visited Miyajima, less than an hour from Hiroshima. In a country as full of scenic views as vending machines, Miyajima is actually nationally rated in the top three. Miyajima shrine is often called the floating shrine because it's built out on a sand bar and is often surrounded by water, most picturesquely at sunset.

We arrived at about 12 when it was less picturesquely surrounded by mud. So we went for a hike up the mountain instead.


So whenever we go hiking Dave regularly sees snakes in order to scare me. Along with monkeys and monsters

So when he actually saw a snake sunbathing on a rock obviously I paid no attention. But in boy scout like fashion, he chased it to it's rock, oohing and ahhhing, so I guess he has the photos to prove it.

I got over that.

So up the mountain we went. Singing and bonding and talking about dreams as we do when we're alone. When out of the growth to my side, at eye level, a giant massive huge gigantic jiganormous king cobra slid down the slope, raised on his hind .... quarters ... hissing and spitting at me. Obviously I moved with cat-like reactions, pushing Dave out of harm's way, and killed that snake dead.

Or

So up the mountain we went. Bitching and moaning and talking about food as we do when we're alone. When out of the growth to my side, at eye level, a snake a little longer than a school ruler slid down the slope, saw me, panicked and stood there waiting for me to go home to my mammy. Obviously I froze, gave a whimpering 'oh Dave' and stood waiting for him to remind me all I had to do was keep walking.

There are reasons why I'm still with this boy.


Anyway the remaining hike was relatively uneventful. Except for the wild monkeys that hung around the picnic areas, shamelessly flaunting their adorable youth for any tourist's camera that might pass by.

There were no monsters though.

When we did finally make it to the top of the mountain, the views, as so often in Japan, were breathtaking. The island is surrounded by deep blue waters that are dotted with green lush islands.


By the time we had descended, the tide was a little more in (as were the tour buses), so we got to see some of the shrine's reflective beauty. But to be honest, the view from the top of the mountain was the real show stopper.

More photos of our jungle adventure? YAY!

Leave a Comment

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jo, Maria told me your enjoying yourself in Japan. I liked the temple at Miyamija (we use a picture of it in one of the logo`s of our dojo). Your blogg is very nice, keep them pictures comming ;)

Kevin

June 23, 2007

 

< Back